Sunday, January 13, 2013

MendelMax 1.5 Build Log: Part 4, Y-Axis Carriage construction

The next step of my RepRap MendelMax 1.5 build was to construct the Y-axis carriage. I didn't purchase any of the pre-made Y-axis bearing plates. Since I had plenty of the Bosch aluminum extrusion left from my frame build, I built the Y-axis carriage from the scraps. I chose to make the Y-axis carriage 8" per side. This will give about 1/4" of overhang for the heated build platform. 

Frame built & screwed together using 90 degree brackets
Holes & counterbore drilled for corner build platform leveling screws (4x)
T-Slot nuts installed for Pillow Blocks (8x T-slot nuts) and Belt Clamps (4x T-Slot nuts) I put a piece of painter's tape over the end of each extrusion to prevent the T-Slot nuts from falling out when I was installing the Y-axis carriage.

Y-Carriage installed in Mendel Max 1.5 frame- showing detail of belt clamps and 8mm bushing pillow blocks
Y-Axis Carriage Installed!
Now the mechanical assembly is basically finished. I still have to install the extruder, hot end, and (3x) endstops.

The RAMPs 1.4 controller board, Arduino, and power supply also arrived at my doorstep last week. I'm a bit unsure of the installation, wiring, and setup of the electronics. It seems like most people on the web who are building these printers come from the software / electronics side of the world- so their tutorials are almost always fairly in depth for the mechanical assembly but gloss over the electrical side. I have completed a few arduino based electronics projects so I'm sure I'll be able to fumble through it.



No comments:

Post a Comment