Today I finally started cutting foam for Mark II of the speedwing design. I used John's 30 volt power supply- that got the wire cookin' and it cut through the foam like, well, a hot knife through butter. After cutting the wing sections I tried a number of variations on battery hatches, and I wasn't able to get one to satisfy me. For the hatches I used the band saw as it was easier to get perpendicular cuts through the foam. In the process I made a LOT of scrap foam:
I finally decided to create a new fuselage center section. Each wing half will be bonded to the fuse then the joint reinforced with carbon or spruce spars. After cutting the fuse blank I carefully rounded it using a belt sander.
I'm planning on making a motor mount tray to allow easy interchange of the two possible motors- a 3200kv, and a 1400 kv. In both cases I'll be running a 3s or 4s battery. No 5s or 6s for me!
At the end of the day, it looks like my concept has morphed into a near copy of the Parkzone Stryker. Except it'll probably be a) much more time consuming and b) may not fly as well. But, no matter what, I'll have been an interesting, educational project.