Thursday, March 7, 2013

Little Tikes replacement parts + Replacement Y Axis

Little Tikes Replacement Parts
What better way to utilize a high tech factory at home than to use it to make replacement parts for kid's toys?

The hinge brackets for my son's Little Tikes kitchen broke. These seem like a normal wear item, but they are quite expensive to buy- you can't buy just the hinge bracket, Little Tikes forced you to buy a kit with a range of fasteners. But, with a printer it's cheap and easy to replace. Very easy to draw up in Solidworks and print out... And they turned out really well. But, they aren't "kid tested" yet. That'll be the true test!

The solid models are available on thingiverse here.

"Real" Bracket on the left, new printed brackets center and right

Installed on the "oven" door

Works fine!

Updated Y Axis

My original Y axis was home made. It worked pretty well, but it limited the Y axis build size to 160mm, it was really difficult to level, and it was solid mounted. The solid mounting might have been the cause of some of the skipped steps, as if the nozzle hit a glob of plastic during a traverse it could stop the traverse. With a spring loaded bed, the bed can flex away from the nozzle. After considering machining my own parts, I decided to save the time and just buy the set from lulzbot.com. They turned out to be nice high quality laser cut parts, assembled easily, and fit perfectly.

New bed plate (and 5mm SHCS heads visible)

Assembly, bottom 3/4 view
Assembled and in MendelMax 1.5

I had to mount the Y-axis endstop in a new location- once I have a good mount design I'll post some photos.

Printing a spare X-slide on the new Y axis


17 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the Little Tykes kitchen oven door hinge model. We have the same kitchen. The oven hinge that we printed works great. Unfortunately, our right door is broken too. That hinge is a bit smaller. Would you post the right door hinge as well? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a look, I should have time this week to post a viable model. I'm glad the oven door hinge came in handy for you!

      Delete
    2. I just uploaded the small hinge files to Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:58898

      Delete
  2. Is there somewhere I can buy these I need 2 of them for my kiddos kitchen door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me your e-mail address and we can work something out.

      Delete
    2. How can i order one of the door hinges for the right door? Email Christopher.fiorot@gmail.com plz

      Delete
    3. How can i order one of the door hinges for the right door? Email Christopher.fiorot@gmail.com plz

      Delete
    4. Chris,

      I just send you an e-mail.

      Andy

      Delete
    5. I am also wondering if I can order a set of these for the oven door. I can't find any made online and I don't own a 3-D printer

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I have the same problem with my Little Tikes kitchen. I am surprised that the company does not provide this kind of product support. I am missing the oven door, right hinge. Is there a way I can buy it from you?
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can go to thingiverse where I posted this file, and click on the "order this printed" link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:58898

      or, you can send me your e-mail address and we can work out something and I can print you some parts and mail them to you.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Can I also order a replacement for the right kitchen cabinet door? My email address is theexaltedflighty at gmail dot com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note. Right now I'm not printing these for people- it seems there are other online sources not available. You can always buy these through Thingiverse itself. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any way to get the actual oven door? Rescued this from the trash for my little girl, just need the oven door & other little door on bottom. Amazed I cannot find this for sale online anywhere!

    ReplyDelete